A new Special Research Task set, “A Drive to Investigate,” will be live in Pokémon Go from March 20 at 8 a.m. until March 23 at 10 p.m. in your local time. You’ll only see it if you’ve purchased a ticket from the in-game shop for $7.99.
Completing the quest steps will reward Genesect, the man-made Mythical Pokémon. There’s also a hat and backpack, as well as Super Incubators and Raid Passes, obtainable by completing this line of quests.
Due to the spread of novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, the tasks were changed to all be completable from home. You’ll still have to catch tons of Pokémon throughout the weekend and hatch eggs to complete the tasks. The Pokémon types you’ll have to catch for the event will have boosted spawn rates throughout the weekend, and Pokémon spawns in general have been increased so people can play from home.
Genesect will be available from EX raids after this event, so even if you miss out on this event, you’ll be able to nab it.
- Battle another trainer five times (1,000 Stardust)
- Catch 25 normal-type Pokémon (Three Rare Candy)
- Give your Buddy one treat (Trubbish encounter)
Reward: Five premium raid passes, Pinsir encounter, Genesect Cap
- Power up five Pokémon (1,000 Stardust)
- Catch 25 fire-type Pokémon (Three Rare Candy)
- Send three gifts to friends (Karrablast encounter)
Reward: Three Charge TMs, Skarmory encounter, Three Super Incubators
- Transfer three Pokémon (1,000 Stardust)
- Catch 25 water-type Pokémon (Three Rare Candy)
- Hatch an egg (Shelmet encounter)
Reward: Three Incense, Scizor encounter, Genesect bag
- Make three great throws (1,000 Stardust)
- Catch 25 electric-type Pokémon (Three Rare Candy)
- Play with your buddy (Kabuto encounter)
Reward: Three Fast TMs, Genesect encounter, Glacial Lure
- Battle a team leader three times (1,000 Stardust)
- Catch 25 ice-type Pokémon (Three Rare Candy)
- Take three snapshots of Genesect (Durant encounter)
Reward: One Poffin, 10 Genesect candy, three Star Pieces
If this is your first special research quest, there should be four more to complete: